Friday 17 July 2015

Visiting Washington D.C a second time.

I left Knoxville with a smile but only to head for the greyhound bus late at night for an overnight bus ride all the way to Washington D.C. Travelling overnight by bus in South America has skewed my expectation on bus ride. Overnight on the greyhound bus means minimal sleep and double the cramps plus painful freezing atmosphere.


American Indian Smithsonian
I eventually arrived Washington D.C and was happy to stretch my legs by walking 25 blocks to the hostel. Washington D.C … nothing new since I have visited it before three years ago on 2012 and not much was about to change. Apart for restoration works which seems to be going on forever just at different segments of the Capitol Mall everything remain the same really for Washington.

This time round I managed to see the pentagon …. But no photos of proof that I was there. Apparently it is sensitive to take photos of the pentagon and if you try ….. chance are that you will be catch and thrown to prison for a while. Nearby I also saw the huge cemetery for the soldiers. We use to watch TV seeing “the when a fallen hero gets buried” on a mound with lots of white stonehead ….. it really exist …. Big as hell and solemn. Out of respect and a little fear … I did not go in and back track to the nearest subway instead.

The other things I manage to catch in Washington this time around was the American Indian Smithsonian museum, a dark museum showing the ugly side of America. The harm that has been done to the native of the land and cannot be undone. At lease with the museum as a reminder hopefully the future will be better. I think it is a good museum, for all the grandeur of museums in USA that propaganda the power and might, this museum shows the other side of the coin, and the after effect of power without restrain.
There is no honour in power but there is power in honour … 

I also catch the National Geographic Museum which was a waste of money. Of all the exceptional good free museums in Washington D.C there is no need really to pay for any museum nearby. It would take a week or more to even see all the free museums. I just figured paying for one could not be that bad and was also curious if a paid museum would be much much better than a free one. I forgot for a moment that Smithsonian although free still has a rich funding.
National Geographic Museum ….. its better to see National Geographic Documentary on TV

 

No comments:

Post a Comment